Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 - What a year!

----------------------------------------------

I am not sure there has ever been a bigger year for Northern Dancer's descendants. Just when it looked like his bloodlines could be trailing off his descendants manage to win every major classic race from every corner of the globe. Here is a list of the classics they won that I covered on my blog. I am sure I missed a few but this list is pretty impressive.

Japan Cup
Japan's Arima Kinen

Hong Kong Cup
Hong Kong Mile
Hong Kong Sprint
Hong Kong Vase

US Breeders Cup Classic
US Breeders Cup Mile
US Breeders Cup Juvenile
US Breeders Cup Turf
and 11 other Breeders Cup races

Austrailia's Melbourne Cup

France's Prix De L'arc de Triomphe

England's St Leger
England's Epson Derby
England's 2000 Guineas

Canada's Queens Plate

US Belmont Stakes
US Preakness Stakes
US Kentucky Derby

Dubai World Cup
Dubai Shema Classic
Duby Duty Free
and 4 other Dubai Stakes

Barbados Cup

If I had to pick something for everyone to watch to try to explain my little Canadian hero it would probably be this CBC documentary on their Life and Times series. It was first aired on March 31, 2005 on CBC and instrumental along with Muriel Lennox's book in my desire to document more of his story. Muriel is interviewed throughout the film. You can see this brilliant biography in 4 parts on youtube. Here is part 1. You can link to the other 3 parts off my blog (on the right side down below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FrZY4mjL4

---------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment